Thursday, November 7, 2013

2011 Musical Summary

David Skerkowski: 2011: A Musical Summary
Advance to List of 2011 Recordings.

Having endured the hardships of homelessness for a month, I entered my new accommodations at a downtown hotel in January 2011 with optimism. At first I felt secure, based on a previous problem-free residence there, but this time I stood out, and the street below my window was like an echo chamber for the unwelcome words of visitors to the nearby taverns.

My recordings grew more complex as I worked with drum samples. I continued to inadvertently rewrite old songs, though with less frequency. The growing number of blindly reconstructed past works drove me to a creative frenzy in a frantic search for new songs. Shrouded behind incessant street noise, my diligent and lengthy recordings from this year mark my transition, I think, from a voice of the past to one of the future.

The area around my building was also desirable for productions whose security interferes with pedestrian traffic. And in my room the only insulation I had from the alternating drunks and circus performers from Thursday night to Sunday morning, week after week, was achieved by wearing earplugs, as in my video for Control.
  Songs Scripts Statements  
© 2018. Words and Music by David Skerkowski. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment